Did You Miss Me?

I know it’s been a while since you've heard from me and for that, I apologize. I plan on making it up to you! I thought I would try something new with this post…you know, make it worth the wait! I decided it might be interesting to keep a running list of random things that I see or myths that are dispelled or things that I learn over the summer, and since I’m keeping a blog, I felt it appropriate to publish my lists here at various times. After almost three weeks in Shanghai, I think I can begin my list. Here goes!

SURPRISE, I’m not a giant!!!
I am five feet, eight inches tall with a thirty-four inch inseam…to be clear, I’m pretty tall. I thought I would be a giant in China, but I was wrong! Don’t get me wrong, a few people have made hand gestures concerning my height but I’m not nearly as tall as I thought I would be. In Shanghai, people vary in height, and a number of Shanghai natives are my height or taller. In one conversation about our height a girl explained that it’s all about nutrition. She said the people of Shanghai eat really well (I can testify) and as a result, they grow! Other parts of the country may not be so fortunate which provides some explanation of why a majority of the Asian population is shorter than average.

What Did You Just Say?
I know this may come as a surprise to some of you, but I like to talk. As a matter of fact, I have grown to love talking so much that I have failed to appreciate the value of non-verbal communication because I have not had to depend on it very much in my lifetime. That has all changed. Being here in China has certainly sharpened my non-verbal skills. Although I wish I could speak the language so that I could converse with everyone, I am really amazed at what can be communicated without any words at all.

Cultural Differences Do Matter
Have you ever been enjoying a nice lunch or dinner with friends or family and had to talk over someone who is slurping their soup or pasta at the next table? Have you ever walked down the street and come really close to someone spitting on you? Since I have been in China, I have and initially I thought people were being inconsiderate but then I noticed that everywhere I went the same things were happening. Then it hit me: these were cultural differences! In the spring I took a couple of classes at both the Clinton School and the law school that focused on cultural differences. At the law school, a class titled the Law and Cultural Competency was all about the existence and effect of cultural differences on our actions and reactions to others and of course, how this plays out in the legal system. Dynamics of Social Change at the Clinton School was all about ways in which cultural differences play a role in our abilities to incite positive social change. I appreciated these classes because they opened my eyes to the fact that cultural differences play a major role in our everyday interactions…whether we realize it or not.

Guess Who?
Before coming to China I often joked about who I would be mistaken for during my time here. Thus far, I am pleased to report the following “sightings”:

  • While in Hangzhou, I started a non-verbal dialogue with a daughter, mother and grandmother. The grandmother was a sweet little lady who made it clear that she thought I was a basketball player by making hand gestures of a ball being thrown into a hoop.

  • Two older gentlemen seemed to think I was someone famous (I decided an actress or model) as they spent the majority of a boat ride posing in pictures with me and slyly capturing me on video.
  • And of course, just days ago while out at one of the larger markets here in Shanghai, two Australians called me Michelle Obama. After that, Mircha thought it would be amusing to tell various shop owners that I was the first lady or her relative.

Some Like It Hot
Who doesn’t enjoy a cool refreshing beverage with lunch or dinner? Well, one thing I’ve learned to enjoy during my stay in China is a hot comforting beverage with my meals. This usually entails some amazing tea but could also be a cup of hot water. You see, here it is widely understood that cold drinks are not good for the stomach, so you should drink something warm to aid in the digestive process. I’m going to be honest: I’ve tried it, and I like it. I may never go back to cold drinks again (save a vanilla bean or mocha frappuccino and the occasional icee). The next time you sit down for a good meal, do me a favor and trade that ice cold beverage for a cup of hot tea or water. Trust me your body will thank both of us!

All right, I think that just about does it for me this time around but stay tuned, the lessons keep coming and another list is bound to be right around the corner.

Trenia’s Finale:
One of my classmates, David Monteith, gave every person in the class a book (or two) for his birthday (he’s just that kind of guy). Monteith decided to give us books from his personal library that reminded him of us for any reason (our personality, the country we would be in over the summer, etc.). I received two books, one of which is The WORST-CASE SCENARIO: Survival Handbook. Now for those of you who haven’t had the pleasure of reading this book, just know that it is hilarious; maybe not on the surface, but adding a little dialogue to it makes it a real riot.

The very first chapter of the book is all about great escapes and right out of the gate the authors tell you how to escape from quicksand. In just a couple of pages the madness that is quicksand is explained with pictures. I completely appreciate the fact that anyone could fall prey to quicksand because let’s be honest, anything could happen. My issue with the book’s escape plan is that you have to have a huge stick with you and you will need to use this stick to position your body so that you can float on top of the quicksand. First of all, if I am simple enough to get trapped in quicksand, am I really going to have a big stick with me? For the heck of it, let’s just say that I do have this stick with me. Am I going to be strong enough to pull myself out of the quicksand and into a floating position? Is it realistic for the authors to expect that from me?

Anyway, I’ll leave that alone and make this point: metaphorically speaking, we have all experienced some quicksand in our lives. How do we handle it? My advice on how to escape the quicksand of life is to stay calm and rely on our “big stick” (spiritual beliefs, family, friends, etc.) to help us float our way out instead of becoming overwhelmed and eventually sinking. Marinate on that!

Welcome to my world…expo-sure!!!

5 Response to "Did You Miss Me?"

  1. Julie says:
    June 15, 2010 at 3:11 PM

    You know when you read someone's writing and you hear their voice?

    Yeah, you basically just read that blog post to me from China. It was awesome.

  2. D Monteith says:
    June 16, 2010 at 8:27 AM

    You're doing a stand-up show based on that book when we're all in the same city again. :-)

  3. L. Byrd says:
    June 16, 2010 at 9:16 AM

    Julie-I'm so glad that you can hear me speaking to you from around the world...consider it my gift to you. I hope it makes you feel a little closer to home. Now don't say I didn't ever give you anything (smile)!

    Monteith-You name the time and date and I will be ready to perform. But in the meantime, take solace in knowing that this will not be the last time you hear from The WORST Case Scenario. I promise!

  4. Captain Judy says:
    June 16, 2010 at 9:56 PM

    Since queso is more reliable than quick sand in Arkansas... we'll replace the quick sand with queso and see how long it takes Trenia to get out of it.

  5. Anonymous Says:
    June 17, 2010 at 2:21 AM

    I get lectured on drinking cold drinks here as well. At lunch, some of my coworkers explained that I was ruining my stomach by having hot coffee and cold water at the same time; they said I needed to drink warm water. I let them know my stomach could take it.

    Good luck avoiding spit...

Post a Comment