Cupping 101



Last Monday started off as a regular day (if that’s possible in Shanghai): I woke up, showered, got dressed and headed to work with plans to meet Becca for a possible massage. Some of the ladies that Becca works with had decided that they wanted to get massages, and of course we said we would join. After debriefing from Saturday’s meeting at work, I headed out to meet Becca. Becca and I walked to a predetermined location and met up with Eva and Chelsea (from Becca’s art gallery). That is when the day turned into a real treat.

This massage that we were headed to was not just any massage. I mean, why would it be, we’re in Shanghai! We were about to partake in a Chinese body massage followed by a cupping massage. For your understanding, I will tell you a little bit about both. A Chinese body massage is like a regular body massage on steroids. This small Chinese woman came in and started rubbing my back, just like a massage therapist normally would, and then she pulled out her arsenal, which included thumbs, elbows, and other portions of her hands. I am not kidding you when I tell you that she hit every single pressure point that I have (and some I think she might have borrowed from someone else just for fun) and just when I was starting to appreciate her hands, she pulled out yet another surprise. She told me to turn over on my back and after positioning my legs to her liking, she grabbed my arms, rocked my entire body twice, and then all I heard was a series of cracks. This wonderful woman went from my sides to my neck and realigned my entire body! I was dumbfounded!

The Chinese body massage went on for an hour and then it was time for the cupping. Cupping is an ancient Chinese practice that is often used for medicinal purposes. It is said to have a host of benefits, including: improved microcirculation of blood and lymph; increased activity of metabolic processes; and overall improvement of patient's health. Who wouldn’t want to receive these benefits? As you can see from the pictures, a flame is used to warm a cup (or what looks like a small jar to me) that is applied to the skin and the pressure in the cup is reduced (by using change in heat or by suctioning out air), so that the skin and superficial muscle layer is drawn into and held in the cup. I have never done anything like that before in my life, but I definitely want to do it again. I feel great!!!



After our massages, we had lunch and then visited Chelsea at a studio that she and a team were painting for an upcoming art show. Eva met us there and we darted off for another walk to a Danish art show. Unfortunately, the show had been rescheduled. We made the best of it and walked back to Chelsea’s place and in route, passed a Louis Vuitton store that looked to be about 5-6 stories high and was built to resemble a piece of luggage…who knew that was even possible? We ended the evening over buy one get one burgers and fries…not a bad day AT ALL!!!

Trenia’s Finale:
As I walk home from work, I’ve noticed some very consistent behavior. In the evenings, it seems customary for families, couples and even several generations to get out and walk together. While I can’t say where they may be going, I have seen young couples, mother-daughter-grandchild trios, moms and dads with their little ones and even father and/or mother-in-laws with married couples walking along engaging in conversation or random play every evening on my walk home. It saddens me that this is something that I am not used to seeing. My question is why don’t we do more of this? Are we missing out on the best things in life because we’re too busy to stop what we’re doing and take a walk with our loved ones? I know I have been guilty of this, and I am chastising myself for that. It was just a thought that I wanted to share with you…

Welcome to my world…expo-sure!!!

5 Response to "Cupping 101"

  1. Kate says:
    June 6, 2010 at 7:06 AM

    AAAHHHH!!! Those pictures are intense!!

  2. Captain Judy says:
    June 6, 2010 at 10:45 AM

    So glad you enjoyed the cupping! Isn't it great?

  3. Rebecca Morrison says:
    June 7, 2010 at 2:57 AM

    You know I cannot deal with this.

  4. Cory Biggs says:
    June 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

    First, your massage looks like it might actually have been relaxing, as opposed to Becca's! Ha!

    Second, the last thing I did the night before I left home was go on a walk up the hill outside my parents' house with my niece... just me and her. I've been walking home from work nearly every day here in Rwanda and thinking back to that walk I had with my niece. Your words sum it up perfectly: the best things in life.

  5. L. Byrd says:
    June 7, 2010 at 8:18 PM

    Hi everybody! Thank you so much for commenting on my post...I laughed as I was reading your reactions! I figured the best way to respond to everyone is to post one comment speaking to all of you.

    Kate: It wasn't that bad, I promise!

    Judy: I thought it was wonderful, and I can't wait to do it again!

    Jody: Thank you for sharing that you guys take walks, and keep it up!

    Rebecca: Don't worry, it's okay. You can't even tell I had it done now.

    Cory: The walk with your niece sounds amazing. It's nice to seize those opportunities.

    Later guys!!!

Post a Comment