Why World Expo-sure?


Now I’m sure you’re wondering why in the world I named my blog World Expo-sure, so I’ll tell you why. Shanghai is hosting the 2010 World Expo (A.K.A. World’s Fair), which is a massive collection of galleries of human inspiration from around the world. As Shanghai’s World Expo has been named the largest site ever, I thought it fitting to pay tribute to the accomplishment in my blog name. Since my arrival, I have seen this cute little blue guy everywhere that reminds me of Gumby and eventually someone explained that this character was the mascot of this year’s Expo. After doing a little research, I found out that his name is Haibao, which means “treasure of the world.” How neat is that?

I decided that although the cab ride to work is pretty cheap, I was missing out on the experience of walking and taking in the scenery. So yesterday I walked home from work and had the best time! I found a small park that was beautifully decorated with flowers, saw a dance routine by a group of girls at school, viewed what seemed to be a friendly game of checkers being watched by a group of men, and of course, enjoyed the intense stares of a host of Shanghai natives. I also browsed a store that was filled with bags, belts and scarves (don’t worry, I used self control), and purchased a 20 oz. Sprite for forty-seven cents. All in all, it was a fabulous walk home!

Trenia’s Finale:
As I was walking home, it dawned on me that I was in Shanghai, China (this ah-ha occurs all the time by the way), and I thought about the fact that if you had told me two years ago that I would be spending my summer in China I would have thought you were crazy. But here I am, and I know that it is because I am becoming increasingly comfortable with the “possibilities.” The moral? Keep an open mind and never limit yourself to your current situation and amazing things will start to happen. I have, and I’m in China…that’s all I’m saying.

Welcome to my world…expo-sure!!!

7 Response to "Why World Expo-sure?"

  1. CherRhonda says:
    May 26, 2010 at 9:04 AM

    Hey Girl!!!

    So glad that things are going well. As usual I will live vicariously through you...I'm wondering if you are remembering the last time I did that...LOL! I'm too tickled just thinking about it. I haven't figured out how to work Skype yet but once I do I will find you for sure. Here's to hoping this is one of the best most memorable experiences of your life.

    Cheers!

  2. Anonymous Says:
    May 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM

    Hey, girl! How exciting!!! I had no idea you were there! My son and his family were stuck in the Shanghai airport for a little over 24 hours April 7-8. Were you there then? If only I had known! They actually secured a hotel room in the airport and made their flight the next evening, so it all worked out. All together, their flights from Malaysia were about 26 hours (not counting the overnight stay in Shanghai. Kuala Lumpur to Shanghai, Shanghai to Chicago, then Chicago to Birmingham. Anyway... thank you SO much for sharing your blog with me! I look forward to reading all about your adventure! Love, -terri

  3. Hallie says:
    May 26, 2010 at 9:29 AM

    Trina! So glad I can keep up with you now! I love the little Gumby guy. You are literally on the other side of the world from me!

  4. Unknown says:
    May 26, 2010 at 11:25 AM

    Hey Trenia! I want you to know that I'll be keeping track of you all summer long. You know I have to keep at least one eye on you at all times! :) I am so happy to hear that you're enjoying your time abroad so far. I want to encourage you to enjoy even your bad days and take it all in for those of us who can't. I love you, and I'm praying for your success and happiness. Have fun!!!

    - Mariah

  5. Rebecca Morrison says:
    May 26, 2010 at 6:06 PM

    AWW! You're in China! I love it!

  6. Jody says:
    May 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM

    What a wonderful experience! I'll be following along! Take lots of pictures and try to post them. I would love to see it through your eyes.

  7. KiaH says:
    June 2, 2010 at 1:38 PM

    Trenia,

    I am loving your blog!!!! This is so exciting, I am envisioning everything as you describe it. I am so happy you are getting this experience. I am reading this for every second of your journey. Love you buddy!!!

Post a Comment